Guest Chef Tina Leigh Prepares Her Quick Summer Slaw
We leave this here for you, in honor of Chef Tina Leigh who passed away in 2016. She was a great person, bright light and amazing soul. Please enjoy this recipe from her, one of her favorites, a raw slaw using Brussel Sprouts with Fennel. Tina also shows us one of her favorite dressings she uses for many of her dishes, as well as some of the techniques she has taught worldwide.
Tina is an experienced leader in the fields of integrative health & nutrition and personal transformation. She experiences deep satisfaction from serving as an instrument for guiding clients to total mind, body and spirit harmony. She believes all beings embody the power to manifest their ideal weight, achieve total self-confidence, restore youthfulness and vitality and release stuck energies, damaging core beliefs and binding addictions.
Using a blend of holistic modalities including Health Counseling, Natural Food Meal Preparation and Nutrition Coaching, She is able to exercise her gifts and expertise to help clients achieve greatness, optimum health and their desired reality.
Formerly the President of Urban Cuisine, She has been guiding her clientele to achieve their highest and best for over a decade. She has been featured on Fox News, in Cooking Light Magazine and on The Food Network’s Ultimate Recipe Showdown.
Quick Summer Slaw
Serves: Approx. 4 – As A Side Dish
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
10 Brussels Sprouts (washed with stem and browned or bruised leaves removed)
1 Small Fennel Bulb (scrubbed)
2 Small Garlic Cloves, peeled
¼ Cup Meyer Lemon Juice
¾ Cup Stone Pressed Olive Oil
¾ Cup Pitted Castellano Olives
Splash of Olive Juice
½ tsp Celtic Sea Salt
Cracked black pepper, optional, may use cayenne too
1. Place garlic and ½ tsp sea salt in a mortar and pestle and mash into a paste.
2. Transfer to a small bowl; add the lemon juice and blend.
3. Slowly add the olive oil and a splash of olive juice and blend thoroughly. Finish with plenty of black pepper.
4. Remove a few leaves of the Brussels sprouts and add them to a medium-sized bowl.
5. Using a mandolin, shave the rest of the sprouts into the same bowl or use a sharp knife to slice very thin. Break the pieces a part so you have a nice sprout slaw.
6. Cut the fennel bulb in half and shave both halves into the bowl. Break the fennel a part also.
7. Shave the radishes into the bowl the same way.
8. Add the dressing to the salad, finish with a little bit more sea salt and pepper if needed and a light drizzle of olive oil. Toss in olives and serve.